Thursday, September 5, 2013

The Meaning of my name

David Huang is my name. What's the meaning of my name? Well for me my name could mean a variety of things. In my own terms it could mean a friend, a brother, and a son. The origin of how I achieved David as my first name was that my parents decided to give me an English name so they were flipping through a book of names to name me and found that they really liked the name David. I achieved my last name through my dad obviously.

I never wondered where my name had came from or the history behind it not until I was given this assignment, so I searched it up. I had learned that many countries use the name David and is ranked really high for the popularity usage of the name. I had learned that my name had derived from the Hebrew name Dawid which had came from the Hebrew word (דוד or dwd) which means beloved. I had learned that there were many historical, religious and famous figures that were named David. David was also a name of one Israel's greatest king who is included in the Old Testament where he had defeated Goliath.

My last name is Huang and in Chinese it means Yellow. My last name is ranked 7th as the most common name used in China. My last name is also used in other countries such as Korea and Vietnam. Huang is an ancient surname which leads back into over four thousand years ago in the days of legendary sage emperors in the Xia dynasty. Also found out that a river in China is called the Huang River. 

At the end of the day I started to think of how unique my name is. I feel inspired of the achievements that people who were named David had achieved. I feel happy about the new knowledge I learned about from my first name and my last name. I also searched my name on urban dictionary and was very happy to see how awesome the name David is.



No comments:

Post a Comment